11 Healthy Habits To Have By Age 30
Sometimes healthy habits are not what you do, but what you no longer do. Such is the case with many of the healthy habits recommended by doctors before you reach 30.
I was just discussing our parents’ heart trouble with a relative, and he mentioned that eating two bananas daily contains enough potassium needed to stave off heart problems. When my aunt had fallen out and couldn’t be revived, she had been without her beloved bananas for over two weeks.
Another friend had one ankle double the size of the other one. It always swells up when she eats sugar-laden food. She immediately starts a cleansing ritual to eliminate the edema she knows she is prone to have.
Healthy Habits Checklist
Drinking and eating right supports body processes and always has. But what else can you do (or stop doing) to maintain above-the-line health that keeps the excess/invaders at bay?
- Learn to enjoy exercise. I’m guilty! I love movement with a purpose. DO dance your way to health. Be intentional about partying.
- Drink more water. Yes, but don’t sweat it. Truth be told–no one’s ancestors drank half their body’s weight in water. Or when they did, food was unavailable. So, DO eat the juiciest fruits you can. They contain the natural hydration you need and as a regular part of your diet you can’t go wrong.
- Stop smoking. If you DON’T slow smoking way down, all your body’s functions will be compromised.
- Stand up more. DO stand for justice but also stand because your body won’t work as well if you do sedentary work and are always seated.
- Find the best feminine products, including birth control method, for you. Women, DO consider your many options for managing your monthly and your sex life. For men this goes for you too, to participate in these decisions!
Healthy Habits Checklist #2, Affecting You & Loved Ones (even more)
- Drink in moderation, if at all. DON’T let alcohol get the best of you. ‘Nuff said.
- Get insured.DO this for the sake of your loved ones. If your workplace doesn’t offer a program, seriously consider ways to not be a burden to family if something should happen. The flip side of this is, Stay Out Of Debt.
- Learn to love your body. DO this to attract authentic relationships. If life isn’t working in this department, lack of self-love may be the reason.
- Spend quality time with friends in real life. There is nothing like real human touch. DO get out of your phone and see your peeps in person.
- Rest more. Know your setpoint. DO choose a day to cool out if you know you’re stressed over the top.
- Choose a holistic health modality such as meditation, yoga, Reiki, aromatherapy, or Tapping, and get training.
Get the BlackDoctors take on the first nine items on this list. They are a bit more “lenient” than us holistic health advocates.
— Rev. Niamo Nancy Muid
Men’s photo courtesy DCLife
The HealMobile offers educational and inspirational services and information. Many statements and health claims on this site are still under Food and Drug Administration (or other agency) review, and awaiting approval. The HealMobile wants the best care for visitors, but cannot diagnose, cure or treat any disease, mental illness, or chronic medical condition.
For long-standing physical or emotional problems, see your medical doctor or licensed health professional. Share your interest in the holistic approach with him or her, and ask for help in creating a plan for the complete healing of the symptoms and causes that concern you.